WHAT IS SKIN BIOPSY?
In skin biopsy treatment procedures, cells [or] tissues are removed by using different techniques for examination. Skin biopsy treatment procedure is a very commonly performed office procedure in a dermatologist's clinic.
WHAT ARE THE INDICATIONS FOR SKIN BIOPSY?
Skin biopsy procedure is conducted in the following cases:
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SKIN BIOPSY TECHNIQUES?
- To confirm the clinical diagnosis
- When clinical diagnosis is not possible / doubtful
- In all bullous disorders e.g. pemphigus
- All suspected neoplastic conditions
- In systemic lupus to do lupus band test
- Excisional biopsy in conditions like Nevi, Basal cell carcinoma etc.
- For special tests like immune-fluorescence, special stains and electron microscopy, a skin biopsy test procedure is performed on the tissue.
- Shave Biopsy
- Punch Biopsy
- Incisional Biopsy
- Excisional Biopsy
- Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy
---- Shave biopsy is useful in skin tags, seborrheic keratoses etc. Shave biopsy is suitable for lesions raised above the skin.
---- Only a small area from the affected area is removed in incisional biopsy.
---- Entire area / suspicious area is removed.
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy
---- Tissue sample is removed with a needle.
WHAT ARE THE LATEST TECHNIQUES IN SKIN BIOPSY?
Punch biopsy is the latest and most commonly used technique in skin biopsies.Punch biopsy is indicated for routine histopathological examination and for removing small lesions like nevi.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF PUNCH BIOPSY?
Punch biopsy is simple, heals with minimal scar.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR SKIN BIOPSY?
With aseptic precautions, the biopsy site is infiltrated with local anaesthesia. An appropriate biopsy punch is held vertically and steady pressure is applied. Punch is rotated till tissue is completely separated and until it reaches the subcutis. Punch is withdrawn and tissue is cut with scissors. The wound is sutured and dressing is applied. Suture is removed after 7 to 10 days
WHERE IS SKIN BIOPSY DONE?
Skin Biopsy test procedure or Skin Biopsy treatment services are available at any Dermatology Clinic.