WHAT IS MICRONEEDLING?
HOW DOES MICRONEEDLING HELP?
Microneedling is a new and simple technique used for the treatment of atrophic acne scars and skin rejuvenation. Microneedling treatments are also known as Dermaroller Therapy or Dermaroller treatment/ Skin Needling Therapy / Percutaneous Collagen Induction Therapy [Note: Dermaroller is registered trademark].
Microneedling for acne scars involves use of a hand-held rolling instrument with tiny needles, which create multiple superficial puncture wounds in the skin. The tiny micro injuries in the upper dermis release growth factors. This leads to production of new collagen and elastin.
WHAT ARE THE INDICATIONS FOR MICRONEEDLING?
WHAT IS THE PRE PROCEDURE CARE FOR MICRONEEDLING?
- Grade 2 and Grade3 acne scars
- Linear atrophic scars
- Traumatic / surgical scars
- Reduction of fine lines and open pores
- Skin rejuvenation of face, neck, upper lip, arms, legs, abdomen
- To facilitate absorption of drugs into the dermis e.g. in the treatment of alopecia [mesotherapy]
The following must be observed:
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE [TECHNIQUE] FOR MICRONEEDLING?
- No retinoic acid products or applications 12 hours prior to your treatment.
- No prolonged sun exposure to the face 24 hours prior to your treatment. A Rejuvapen treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- On the day of the treatment, please keep your face clean and do not apply makeup.
After applying local anaesthetic cream for an hour, the skin is cleaned. The skin to be treated is stretched and roller is moved in horizontal, vertical, and diagonal directions,applying mild pressure. This is continued till pin point bleeding is seen. The serous oozing is wiped with saline soaked gauze and antibiotic cream is applied.
WHAT IS THE POST-PROCEDURE CARE FOR MICRONEEDLING?
Sun exposure must be avoided for a week to prevent post inflammatory pigmentation. Oral antibiotics may be prescribed by your dermatologist for a few days.Avoid use of scrubs/loofahs/abrasive cleansers for a week. Avoid picking the skin. Avoid irritant cleansers, e.g. Dettol. Avoid makeup for a few days.
HOW OFTEN DOES ONE NEED MICRONEEDLING?
There should be a gap of 6 to 8 weeks between two micro needling sessions. About 6 to 8 sessions are required to achieve good cosmetic results.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF MICRONEEDLING?
Microneedling procedure can be performed after applying a local anaesthetic cream. It’s an office procedure with minimal downtime. There are less chances of scarring as there is no epidermal injury. Microneedling, also known as skin needling therapy procedure, can also be combined with other procedures like chemical peels, subcision, non-ablative lasers,botulinum toxin, and dermal fillers to enhance cosmetic improvement in acne scars and skin rejuvenation.