MICRODERMABRASION (SKIN POLISHING)
WHAT IS MICRODERMABRASION / SKIN POLISHING?
HOW DOES SKIN POLISHING HELP?
Microdermabrasion (MDA) is a procedure that causes mechanical exfoliation of skin by using aluminium oxide crystals /diamond tip, at high pressure to remove the outermost layer of skin [stratum corneum] from the epidermis. Microdermabrasion treatment or skin polishing treatment is a painless, non-invasive procedure, performed in the Dermatologist’s Clinic.
It helps two ways:
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF MDA?
MDA can be performed by using Aluminium Oxide crystals:
- In the Epidermis - it causes thinning of the stratum corneum and thickening of epidermis.
- In the Dermis - it causes thickening of dermis, new collagen formation, and collagen remodelling.
These crystals are inert, nontoxic, and non-carcinogenic. They are safe to use and do not cause any adverse reaction on the skin. They do not cause any risk of inhalation because of their smaller size.
MDA can also be performed by using Diamond Tip:
It has several advantages over aluminium oxide crystals. It is easier to use, diamond tip causes less irritation, and it does not leave any crystal particles. The skin barrier function of the cheek and forehead recovers within two days of diamond tip MDA. These are the most popular and safe skin polishing equipment.
HOW MDA IS PERFORMED [METHOD OF MDA or HOW TO PERFORM MICRODERMABRASION]?
In the method of microdermabrasion, no anaesthesia is required for MDA. After proper cleansing of the face, MDA is done, keeping in mind patient's comfort and required depth of treatment. The hand piece is moved along specific lines of treatment on the area [e.g.face, upper back, back of hands etc.] The intensity of the treatment can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the suction pressure. Single / multiple passes may be used depending on the depth to be reached.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE TO PERFORM MDA?
A standard session of microdermabrasion procedure usually consists of one to three passes. The procedure may take between 15 to 30 minutes for full face. MDA can be called a lunch time procedure.
HOW OFTEN IS MDA PERFORMED?
Repeat sessions are performed at weekly intervals till satisfactory results are achieved.
WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS IN WHICH MDA IS HELPFUL [INDICATIONS]?
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MDA [RESULTS AFTER MDA]?
- Facial Rejuvenation -- improves rough texture, dyschromia, photo damage, and superficial wrinkles.
- Comedones [black and white heads of acne]
- Superficial Acne Scars, chicken pox scars, and post traumatic scars
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Improvement in the appearance of striae
- Enlarged pores
Following the skin polishing method or skin polishing procedure, the patient can feel the following:
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF MDA?
- Immediate feel good effect due to disappearance of superficial pigmentation / rough skin texture [exfoliating effect]
- Plumping effect
- Good improvement in mild textural irregularities
- Moderate to minimal improvement in superficial acne scars and enlarged pores
The benefits of microdermabrasion are:
CAN MDA BE COMBINED WITH OTHER PROCEDURES?
- Skin polishing can be performed on all skin types
- No anaesthesia is required
- MDA is a non-invasive and painless technique
- MDA does not irritate the skin
- There is little / no downtime
- It is well accepted by the patients
Yes, skin polishing treatment procedure or MDA procedure can be combined with other aesthetic procedures like lasers, chemical peels, topical antioxidants, botox, and fillers for better cosmetic results.
WHAT ARE THE PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN AFTER MDA [POST PROCEDURE CARE]?
Patient should follow the instructions strictly, given by the Dermatologist, after MDA is done.
Usually a Sunscreen, Moisturizer, a mild soap / non soapy cleanser and other medications as per the requirement are given. Facial bleach should be avoided. Harsh cosmetics should not be used on the skin.